Becky's Flickr Slideshow

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

CWS: "Like Dude...Why Didn't You Meet Me At The Mall? DUH!"

"For Sure" and "OMG!"

  by Becky Kénaan


"Ohhhh My Gawwwd! ...Where were you? Like Way and For Sure, Girl!! ... I'll get Daddy's car and pick you up so we can head back to the Mall!"


That was how this culture trope identified within their socialite groups back in the '70s, '80s & '90s. 

The outfit that I put together is intended to embellish this lifestyle referred to as "The San Fernando Valley Girl."   Growing up in the Los Angeles Area, I remember this culture very well... Not that I was a "Valley Girl" or anything, but I do recall many of my older High School girlfriends behaving in this manner.  

As such, I thought that this would be an appropriate look "for sure!"  So, I have chosen to go with a feminine, breezy and layered look with a flowing beige & black stripe ruffled skirt in concert with a wide-shouldered pull-over embroidered Stole top. With this ensemble, I also chose to wear one of my favorite pair of brown leather imported baroque flowered ankle boots - a "must have" from "Bloomies!"



The term "Valley Girl" actually originated in the 1970's and first referred to affluent young women living in the San Fernando Valley near Los Angeles. It was characterized by an obsession with personal appearance along with an acute concern for advancing of one's social status.  This girl culture grew more prevalent in the 1980's and 1990's with Valley Girls using this lifestyle either in a positive, negative, or ambiguous manner.  

The "Valley Girl" term was shortened to "Val" for most. The stereotypical "Val" had bleached-blond (or natural blond pony) hair, bright eyes. She wore layered outfits and accessorized them with attention-seeking sunglasses and earrings.  The Val Girl would also have to keep up and wear all of the latest "must haves" in fashion - and have her cell phone with her handy at all times, of course! 



Beyond the appearance side, the more noticeable trait for a Val Girl was her speech, referred to as "Val-Speak," with sayings such as "like," "way," "for sure," and "duh."  

When it comes to accessories, I went with my favorite bangles, a tan & white striped headband (once again being obsessed with stripes), accented with a glittering, diamond-studded pair of sunglasses and attention-grabbing earrings. 


And, of course, I have my Rolex watch on (a gift from Daddy) so I know when it is time to call all of my obsessive-compulsive shopping friends to say..  "Like for sure," "duh," I will meet you at Saks! " 


**************"The San Fernando Valley Girl" Ensemble************

Hair:  TuTy's - Soiree' - high pony tail with bangs - light sandy blond

Headband:  Animal Print Tan Headband by ZEPHYR

Skin:  Curio Breeze Sundust Sepia

Shape: Drunna Model 

Eyes:  Expressive Eyes (Gray) by Nany Merlin

Nails:  Mstyle Long Nails v2 + Ring - Holy Pink

Top:  ChicZafari - Woven Black Embroidered Stole by jonyaranda

Skirt:  Azul Meissa Long Skirt by Mami Jewell

Earrings: ChicZafari - Flower Earrings in silver & black by ilanmarfil

Bracelets:   Bollywood Bangles  by Damen Gorilla

Sunglasses: ChicZafari - Glamazon Glasses in Black by ilanmarfil

Stockings: +Grasp: Hearts in Black+White by Asalt Eames

Watch:  Watch Shop Watches - Rolex LSK202c by Bubba B 

Shoes: ChicZafari - Mary Jane Leather Ankle Boots by jonyaranda

5 comments:

  1. Like so RAD!!!! Moonunit's on her way ova

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks CF! It is nice to know that you still keep in touch with Moonunit!! Ohh My Gawd!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well yes like Peds and Rad shoes you know..

    ReplyDelete